Everyone is so excited to reach their destination but the joy of getting there can be equally as fun. Find unexpected thrills in the little things along the way; trying new foods, picking up hilarious mementos from rest stops, turning the music up and having a family sing along. Planning in advance is the key to stress-free travel.
Here are a few tips for traveling with kids that have helped all of us here at Pillow Pets with family travels. Some of our favorite family memories are the funny things that happened to us on vacation. These experiences become fun family stories for years to come.
- Hand out new activities every hour or so to keep kids entertained. A new colored marker or sheet of stickers can help kids pass the time happily, while eagerly anticipating their next gift.
- Bring a buddy along. A Pillow Pet can be a cuddly companion as well as a comfy pillow for naps along the way. Our new Cars 3 characters are great for road trips, or add in a new Sweet-Scented Plush Pillow Pet to help make the journey even sweeter. DreamLites can brighten up nights spent in unfamiliar hotel rooms or houses.
- Check out the latest kids’ trip activities on Pinterest. You can find printable games and coloring sheets, craft ideas for creative kids and tons of ideas to keep children of all ages wiggle-free.
- Prepare for pit stops. Rushing causes stress for everyone. You do not have to do it all in one day. To break up the travel, stop every few hours and let kids play. A quick game of tag or catch at a park can break up the drive without losing too much time. Plus, releasing some pent-up energy may help kids settle into a much-needed nap.
- Finding food on the go can be tricky so locate kid-friendly meal options in advance. This way you will know exactly how many miles between pit stops and can distribute snacks accordingly.
Driving across the United States this summer? Here are a few road side attractions to amuse you and to take amazing selfies to share:
- Wigwam Village in Holbrook, Arizona
- Calico Ghost Town in Yermo, CA
- Dinosaurs at Cabazon, CA
- Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo, TX
- Benewah Milk Bottles, Spokane, WA
- The Blue Whale, Catoosa, OK
- Jolly Green Giant, Blue Earth, MN
- London Bridge, Lake Havasu, AZ
- Longaberger Basket HQ, Newark, OH
- Paul Bunyan Statue, Bemidji, MN
- World’s Largest Ball of Twine, Cawker City, KS
- World’s Largest Buffalo, Jamestown, ND
- World’s Largest Light Bulb, Edison, NJ
- World’s Largest Thermometer, Baker, CA
Taking your Pillow Pet on vacation with you? Then be sure to share your journey with us. We would love to see where you’ve been and what your Pillow Pet travel buddy has been up to on your travels. Be sure to share your tips for traveling with kids in the comment box below!
A few of the best vacation memories can come from the journey you take to on the way to your destination. You may have found a new favorite food at that restaurant off the beaten path. Or maybe learned a new fact at an impromptu stop at a local museum. With the right attitude and preparations, you’ll be asking “are we there already?”